Re: [linux-audio-user] Beat-matching in GDAM - help quick!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Beat-matching in GDAM - help quick!
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 21:05:31 EEST

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 03:17:20PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> I'm very sorry for the spam, but I'm leaving in an hour and I'm
> DJing at a party
> tonight. It's my maiden voyage with GDAM which is a lot of fun
> but I can't get the automatic turntable sync to work. Can anybody help
> QUICK? (I'm currently on #lad in irc.openprojects.net if you do IRC)

Thanks to a *very* timely message from geoff, AKA Lance Blisters,
I got it working very well.
It seems the information I wanted *is* documented...
typical case of user error. I was just looking in the wrong places.
The info I wanted is in the GDAM online help, in the "Turntable"
section (not the "Wheels" section).

The key to beat-matching is this paragraph from Geoff's email:

"To make the tempos match, double-click the bpm label on any
non-anchored turntable. you can also drag-and-drop tempos from
one turntable's bpm label onto another's by using the right mouse
button."

Or, from the online help:
"The tempo display area is both a drag-n-drop source and a target. Using
the right mouse button, the tempo of one turntable can be dragged and
dropped onto another turntable. The second turntable will change its
rate such that the tempo of its song matches the tempo of the first
turntable. Double clicking a turntable's tempo label will cause it
to change to match the lead (anchored) component."

Let me say that I'm very impressed with GDAM. I'd never used it before
Friday, and I was able to get through a 1-hour DJ set on Saturday
night with only a few minor problems (all operator errors....
like hitting "stop" by accident!).

GDAM ran very reliably and didn't glitch the whole time.
To get glitch-free output, I ended up running with a bit higher
latency than I'd like, something like 30 ms, because I forgot to patch
the stock 2.4.17 kernel on my laptop; but it wasn't too bad,
just a little sluggish.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"