[linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] Ardour getting started help.

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] Ardour getting started help.
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 23:13:08 EEST

mawali_AT_news.icns.com wrote:

> Hi
> Can anyone point to a quick start for ardour. Or just post a couple of
> line (and add to the FAQ)
>
> For simplest possible setup
>
> 1) Command lines required for starting JACK
> (and maybe a .asoundrc file for a simples card)

jackd -h gives you help, and
jackd -d alsa -h gives you help on the specific options of the alsa
driver plugin.

i start it with
#jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 2048

if you specify hw:0, you won't need an .asoundrc. the -p setting is for
an sb live, try omitting it at first or experiment a little (only powers
of two are valid)

> 2) The ardour config file editing for a simplest setup
> (including pixmap path if possible)

you must install the pixmaps first. put them in any place you like, and
change the path in ardour.rc accondingly (watch out, the relevant line
is very long, you must scroll to the right for about half an hour).

> 3) Command line to start ardour

cd to ardour/gtk-ardour and issue ./ardev

> 4) Anything else that will help someone started so he can load a file and
> make a sound.

create a new session, and add some diskstreams with mixer strips. read
the faq again while playing around. play with the input and output
settings in the mixer strip until you hear something. be very sure that
your alsa setup is ok first. check the proper alsa mixer settings, and
try recording something with arecord and play back with aplay. if that
works, proceed to ardour.

> I know it is asking to be spoon fed, but if you have any input I (and
> maybe others) will appreciate it.

when i started with ardour, people spoon-fed it to me... i still require
some hand-holding every once in while :-P
welcome to the club.