Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 14:58:16 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 07:19:57 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>I was told on Saturday that the way to do it is to invert the signal,
>>cut off all the peaks then reinvert the signal again. At least that was
>>how my friend fixed up a vinyl track that he was ahem, using.
>>
>>Apparently the process of inverting seperates the peaks from the stuff
>>you want to keep in a dramatic fashion and you can just run the signal
>>through a lowpass filter to get rid of the peaks.
>

> This doesn't sound right, inverting the signal just gives a 180deg phase
> shift and lowpassing it will just leave you with a low frequency click
> (clicks are wideband signals - equal amplitude at every frequency).
>

>>I haven't tried it but it sounded reasonable.
>

> No it doesn't ;)

Ok. So my description is wrong but that doesn't mean the concept is
wrong. He has used this technique to remaster an LP and he says it works.

If you don't use a lowpass to cut out the peaks how can you chop the
peaks out of the signal? what would you use?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur