Re: [linux-audio-user] sound card basics

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sound card basics
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:25:13 EEST

Matt Price wrote:

> I'll try the OSS-Linuxt work tomorrow (and thanks already).
> Meanwhile I thought I should provide some of the missing info I
> foolishly left out of my original post:
>
> I have an ABIT AT7 motherboard, with a Realtek ALC-650 (AC-Link,
> supports AC'97 2.2) sound card on-board.
>
> I didn't notice this in any of the 'generic' lists for OSS or ALSA,
> but I don't really understand drivers very well so it's quite likely
> I'm looking in the wrong place.
>
> Is the driver installation process relatively straightforward? That
> is, assuming someone supports my card (whether alsa or oss-free or
> oss commercial), do I just have to install the driver and then
> everything will be hunkys dory? or do i have to do some more
> complicated configuring ee.g. to get x windows to be able to see my
> card, and then gnome on top of that (or kde, as I'm still
> experimenting with a bunch of desktop possibilities). any further
> guidance woul,d be appreciated!!

run lspci -vv (as root). it will list all pci devices, and your sound
chip should be there. use this information to search the sound card
matrix on www.alsa-project.org to find out whether it's supported. if
yes, grab the alsa drivers, library and utils. compile them in that
order, and follow the instructions in the driver README and INSTALL
files. once you're there, you might have more specific questions. ask
again, either here or better yet, on alsa-user, because chances are
there are folks who have the same hw you have.

once you have installed the ALSA drivers, all applications should be
able to talk to it, regardless of the desktop environment you use.

good luck,

jörn