Re: [linux-audio-user] recorder for streaming audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recorder for streaming audio
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:01:19 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>> http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/vsound/
>>It uses the loopback device from ALSA 0.5.
>
> Thats not the case. Vsound uses LD_PRELOAD to intercept calls
> the OSS driver. This should also work with the OSS emulation
> layer in ALSA. See the "How it works" section on the above page.

My apologies. I spent a couple of nights trolling the net for a
solution to generically capturing the PCM devices of ALSA and
redirecting them to a file, in vain. I am now more confused than
ever. I would prefer an ALSA only (ah lah 0.5 loopback) solution
because sfxload (now possibly vsound) are the only non-ALSA utils
I need to use. As soon as Takashi rewrites sfxload as an ALSA-only
client :-) then I, and a few others, will be able to eliminate any
OSS references from our sound configs thereby simplifying sound
configuration under linux in general.

I am using an SBlive and ALSA according to alsa.opensrc.org/?AslaBuild

I've loaded a soundfont with sfxload and it plays back as expected
but when I try "vsound --timing pmidi -p 65:0 bhangra.mid" I get
this error... I

Missing file ./vsound9002.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty.
etc etc

% ldconfig -p | grep vsound
         libvsound.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/vsound/libvsound.so

One possibiliy is I need to use an OSS based CLI MIDI player but
I'm not aware of any such beast.

Do I _have_ to use an OSS MIDI player with vsound ?

Anyone know of an OSS based MIDI player (NON_GUI) ?

--markc