Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 19:01:28 EEST

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 12:28:59AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I have been querying him tonight and have managed to fine tune his
> method some more. I think inverting the sound is probably the wrong
> description :(

I think so too... the usual meaning of "invert" is "invert polarity",
and it's nothing like what you describe below.

> He uses CEP. Essentially what he does is to equilise the wave with a
> parametric equiliser so that you have the treble signals almost
> seperated from the rest of the wave then he would literally cut the
> trebel peaks out of the waveform. you can do that in CEP because they
> have some kind of graph interface that has the ability to cut out
> everything about the line or under it. Doesn't snd have something like that?

Let me see if I understand this right:

1) boost the treble by some large factor N

2) put some kind of limiter on the peaks?

3) cut the treble by N

Interesting idea. Let me go see if I can try out something like that...

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"