Re: [linux-audio-user] need for low latency patch?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] need for low latency patch?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 05:52:01 EEST

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 01:26:22AM +0100, jordan muscott wrote:
> Also, does using a kernel patched for low latency cause any
> performance or stabliity problems elsewhere?

The only problem that I'm aware of is the inherent risk that
a program running with root privileges could have a bug that
causes it to take over 100% of the CPU with some task that will
never finish... i.e. your system is frozen and you can't get
out without forcing a reboot (e.g. use the "magic sysreq" keys
to force a shutdown). Which just means that you should thoroughly
test anything you're going to use in a live performance. :)

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"