[linux-audio-user] Removing noise without metallic artifacts? (Was: Removing distortion)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Removing noise without metallic artifacts? (Was: Removing distortion)
From: Kingsley G. Morse Jr. (change_AT_nas.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 21:10:42 EEST

Thanks for reminding me how bad the raw data sounds.
I've probably gotten used to it after listening to it
a zillion times.

I'm happy to report that I have another copy of it
with less distortion.

Here's the big but.

BUT, also with a worse signal to noise ratio.

It's at

    http://www.nas.com/~change/private/Sandi.1_at_16b_and_44.1_khz.wav

(Watch out if you have a slow net connection. It's
six megabytes. I resampled it to 44.1 khz and 16
bits.)

I've had some success removing noise with gmc, but
haven't been able to avoid making the result sound
metallic.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to remove noise
without creating a metallic sound.

Thanks,
Kingsley