Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 10:27:43 EEST

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 02:56:52 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:

> > I've now done the configure, make, and make install for the alsa
> > driver, lib, utils, and tools. The Wiki next says to do the line
> >
> > modprobe snd-via8233;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe \
> > snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
> >
> > but also mentions the alsa-driver-xxx/utils/alsasound script for
> > RedHat systems (I'm running RedHat 7.3). Should I do one or the
> > other? Both?
>
> One or the other.

OK, so I ran the alsasound script, and was told that I have to use one
of the arguments start, stop, restart, or status. I ran "alsasound
start", then, doing the next thing the Wiki suggested, ran "alsamixer".
It told me:

  alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

Going back, I tried "alsasound status", and was told:

  ALSA sound driver not loaded.

Trying various combinations of start, stop, and restart didn't change
this. Am I missing a step?

--
| josephzitt_AT_josephzitt.com                 http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt/   http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |