Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 11:06:05 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:

> OK, so I ran the alsasound script, and was told that I have to use one
> of the arguments start, stop, restart, or status. I ran "alsasound
> start", then, doing the next thing the Wiki suggested, ran "alsamixer".
> It told me:
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>
> Going back, I tried "alsasound status", and was told:
>
> ALSA sound driver not loaded.
>
> Trying various combinations of start, stop, and restart didn't change
> this. Am I missing a step?

try to modprobe first.

eg.

modprobe snd-usb-audio; modprobe snd-mixer-oss; modprobe snd-pcm-oss;
modprobe snd-seq-oss

then run lsmod to check the modules are loaded.

also don't be suprised if your usb sound card has no internal mixer
settings. Mine doesn't.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur