Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 11:36:56 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>
> Going back, I tried "alsasound status", and was told:
>
> ALSA sound driver not loaded.
>
> Trying various combinations of start, stop, and restart didn't change
> this. Am I missing a step?

Perhaps try creating or editing /etc/asound.conf and add...

pcm.via8233 {
     type hw
     card 0
}
ctl.via8233 {
     type hw
     card 0
}

General question to all.

  http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=.asoundrc

Says...

  Neither .asoundrc nor alsa.conf is required for alsa to work properly.
  Most applications will work without it. It is used to allow extra
  functionality, such as routing and sample-rate conversion, at a low
  level stage.

Is this still true ?

--markc