Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 12:18:42 EEST

Mark Constable wrote:
> Joseph Zitt wrote:
>
>> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> Going back, I tried "alsasound status", and was told:
>>
>> ALSA sound driver not loaded.
>>
>> Trying various combinations of start, stop, and restart didn't change
>> this. Am I missing a step?
>

> Perhaps try creating or editing /etc/asound.conf and add...
>
> pcm.via8233 {
> type hw
> card 0
> }
> ctl.via8233 {
> type hw
> card 0
> }
>
> General question to all.
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=.asoundrc

Never used /etc/asound.conf myself. I just add the appropriate info to
/etc/modules.conf and write my own .asoundrc.

> Says...
>
> Neither .asoundrc nor alsa.conf is required for alsa to work properly.
> Most applications will work without it. It is used to allow extra
> functionality, such as routing and sample-rate conversion, at a low
> level stage.
>
> Is this still true ?

AFAIK it is. Infact you don't even need to have info in
/etc/modules.conf if you load all the modules yourself. It's just less
hassle.

JACK requires a .asoundrc though.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.