Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 22:00:13 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:08:31 +0900
> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com> wrote:
>

>>So this should be easy for you. Hence the reason that most people have
>>given you less info in their advice. Competence is assumed.
>

> Well, perhaps the apparent assumption as to what constitutes competence,
> on the part of the writers of the scattered documentation as well as the
> reader, is in need of revision. (For example, my current issue of where
> to unpack the tarballs, having been given apparently contradictory
> information from apparently knowledgable sources. Not that I'm accusing
> either of incompetence, just of the well-intentioned information, when
> compared, not increasing clarity.)

Through the knowledge gained from your frustrating experience I hope you
will help us with the never ending task of documenting.

>>To verify this you need to check which module is being used. You
>>should know how to do this by now.
>

> At this point I'm confused on this, having gotten a flurry of emails
> about different readings of lsmod and modprobe and the like.

lsmod and look at the output for the sound modules that are loaded (if any).
If they start with the prefix "snd" then they are alsa drivers and if it
doesn't you are using the USB-audio driver which was written to use the
oss code in the kernel.

If you really want to use the alsa drivers (which I hope you do) then

rmmod audio
modprobe snd-usb-audio;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss

Of course soundcore is always soundcore so you will always have it
loaded for sound.

>>Can you also let us know what the
>>name of your usb card is again for reference on google?
>

> It's the Roland UA-30 USB audio interface.

Ok we need to add a write up for it in the usb-audio docs in the
ALSA-WIKI. Are you interested? You should have a fairly good grasp of
the wiki by now :)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur