Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio
From: Speaker to Vegetables (speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 16:52:39 EEST

Can you say exactly what you are doing to try to get xmms to "see" CDs?
One previous message indicated that you told it to open "/mnt/cdrom",
which should not work -- when no DATA CD is mounted, /mnt/cdrom is just
an ordinary empty directory. On my system, telling xmms to add
"/dev/cdrom" to the playlist (when an audio cd is in the drive) adds
the tracks of the CD instead. The fact that CD ripping (to a file)
works on your system gives me confidence that something like that
should work for you too. The name might be different though. Try
/dev/cdrom, /dev/sr0, and (what the heck) maybe even /dev/sr1.

If none of that works, maybe your xmms doesn't have the right input
plugin. On my system, in the xmms "Preferences" dialog, under "Input
plugins", one of the entries is "AudioCD Reader 0.11d [libcdread.so]".
Do you have something similar?

--
"Can you remember the future? Forget it!"