Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 22:16:20 EEST

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:52:39 -0400
Speaker to Vegetables <speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com> wrote:

> Can you say exactly what you are doing to try to get xmms to "see"
> CDs? One previous message indicated that you told it to open
> "/mnt/cdrom", which should not work -- when no DATA CD is mounted,
> /mnt/cdrom is just an ordinary empty directory. On my system, telling
> xmms to add "/dev/cdrom" to the playlist (when an audio cd is in the
> drive) adds the tracks of the CD instead. The fact that CD ripping (to
> a file) works on your system gives me confidence that something like
> that should work for you too. The name might be different though. Try
> /dev/cdrom, /dev/sr0, and (what the heck) maybe even /dev/sr1.

I am exactly following what is written in the documentation at
http://www.xmms.org/documentation.html:

- - BEGIN QUOTE - -

3.6.1.1 Cd Audio Player
-----------------------
Plays audio cd's on Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris. This plugin does not
pass
the sound through XMMS, so no visualization can be made nor will the
equalizer settings have any effect.

Before I explain the usage we better have a look on the configuration
first.

In the device tab you should set Device to your cdrom unit. /dev/cdrom
is generally a good choice on Linux systems. Set 'Directory' to where a
directory which will be used by XMMS to present the available cd tracks
in.
Using the normal mount point for the cdrom is recommended unless the
cdrom is automounted if it contains a data track.

  Example:
  --------
     Device: /dev/cdrom (which on my system is symlinked to /dev/hdc)
  Directory: /mnt/cdrom

The next setting is used to decide what volume is to be changed, it's
either
the OSS Mixer for CD Audio or the actual volume on the CDROM.

In the CD Info tab you can choose if the plugin should try and get the
track names from a Internet database server.

You can either use the CDDB protocol or CD Index. CDDB defaults to a
free
version of CDDB, but it will work with the infamous cddb servers as
well.

Show network window will display some useful information if something
goes
wrong, but you'll have to close and re-open it to update the content of
it.

If a CDDB server is too slow for your taste, you can press 'Get server
list'
to receive a list of alternate servers.

CD Index is another type of database, but works in a similar manner. If
you don't have libxml installed when you compiled the plugin, this will
be
grayed out.

In the "Track names" box you can decide on how the plugin presents the
tracks to you. This is normally handled by the 'Title' (section 3.5.6)
setting
in the main preferences, but you can choose to override them here.

Available variables are:

   %p = Performer/Artist %t = Track name
   %a = Album %n = Track number

So "%n. %t / %p (%a)" would display something like:

  1. New Life / Depeche Mode (Speak & Spell)

Now to add your CDROM tracks to the playlist. Insert an audio cd into
the
CDROM drive and press the Eject button. Go to the directory which you
defined
earlier ( /mnt/cdrom ) and you should see a list of tracks. They will be
named
Track XX.cda, select the tracks you want to play and press OK. If you
had
choosed an Internet database and the CD exists in it, XMMS will now
display
the tracks you have chosen with their names according to the 'Name
format'
configuration.

Now, that wasn't hard now was it?
- - END QUOTE - -

The condescending arrogance of the last line notwithstanding, it doesn't
work. I see that they had specifically said to use "/mnt/cdrom" while
you had suggested "/dev/cdrom". Neither works for me.

The FAQ mentions that:

- - BEGIN QUOTE - -
r14: Why doesn't the CD plugin work on my RH7.3 installation?

Because of a rather ugly hack in the plugin, it will not work with the
patched version of GTK that RedHat ships. A fix has been submitted to
RedHat to fix XMMS, and it will also be corrected in the next version.
- - END QUOTE - -

Building from the latest sources of xmms, I had hoped that it would be
fixed. They mention that a fix (to what?) had been submitted to RedHat
(when and where?), but that's insufficient information to suggest to me
what to try to get it working.

> If none of that works, maybe your xmms doesn't have the right input
> plugin. On my system, in the xmms "Preferences" dialog, under "Input
> plugins", one of the entries is "AudioCD Reader 0.11d [libcdread.so]".
>
> Do you have something similar?

Using the vanilla XMMS that I just rebuilt last night, I see that it has
"CD Audio Player 1.2.7 [libcdaudio.so]". The Plugins listing on the XMMS
site has no mention of the string "AudioCD".

--
| josephzitt_AT_josephzitt.com                 http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt/   http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |