Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto
From: Karolina Lindqvist (pgd-karolinali_AT_algonet.se)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 20:37:58 EEST

torsdagen den 18 juli 2002 11.14 skrev Frank Barknecht:

> Just for the thread to be even more concise:
> The option "--revision" is ignored, when you build the modules_image.
> ciao,

And then, today I stumbled on some more problems. There has to be a proper
file /etc/modutils/alsa to start alsa.

In the cookbook way, install the debian package "alsa-base", and create a file
"/etc/modutils/alsa" based on the example file in
"/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/examples/modules-0.9.conf"
At the end of that file, add somerthing like:
alias snd-card-0 snd-XXXX
where XXXX is replaced with the alsa driver name for the card.
This is the same card name as the specific card name given to ALSA_CARDS=
Note that the sound card might have some specific options that can (should?)
be specified in this file. I found information about that in the "alsa HOWTO"
file.

When all this is done, give the command
"update_modules" as root.

Finally, when everything is a ready "/etc/init.d/alsa restart" (as root)
should give the card name. As for me:

# /etc/init.d/alsa restart
Storing ALSA mixer settings...done.
Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc2): done.
Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc2): cmipci.
Restoring ALSA mixer settings...done.
#

This confirms that alsa managed to load and start the sound card "cmipci".
If it instead is shown as "(cmipci)" or nothing at all there is probably
something wrong in /etc/modutils/alsa

I don't think my own ALSA story ends here, since now I have to figure out how
to control the card. There is a great application called "gamix" (in a
package with the same name) that displays all the controls for the card.
Which are more than I might wish for or understand......

I don't know if anyone got wiser by all this?

-- Karolina