Re: [linux-audio-user] Low-Latency 2.4.x with ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Low-Latency 2.4.x with ALSA
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 08:33:38 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> Well, it booted up OK into the new kernel -- except now I can't get
> online. The app that I use to connect tells me, quite uninformatively,
> "Failed to start interface." I have no idea what to do next.
>
> I'm writing this by SSHing into another box from Windows... where my
> CD player, USB Audio, USB MIDI, modem, and Net connections just work.
> I'm starting to really question whether there's a point in continuing
> to struggle to get things working on the Linux side.

>The only benefits
> to the Linux side at this point are low latency (assuming that worked)
> and good karma. But I'm wondering at one point it's not worth the
> trouble.

Well how much are these things worth to you? After all time is money and
you have found out that using Linux is time consuming. You could wait
for 5 to 10 years and by then everything should pretty much work right
out of the box. Assuming there are no new protocols or equipment
deveoped in that time by companies that adhere to the closed source
business model and mentality.

> *grumble* *sigh*
>
> Is there any guru in the Berkeley, CA, USA, area who could maybe just
> sit down with me and my laptop and get all this stuff working? I suspect
> that once it's all configured, it should be OK (though that might not
> explain the current dial-up problem), but getting there is being quite
> nerve-wracking.

My suggestion is to take a rest and reflect on what you have already
achieved. Maybe even sleep on it or have some lunch, do something
appropriate to whatever time of day it is.

Getting networking up is usually the easiest part of using Linux because
that is what it was originally designed for.

You may have missed the module for your card in the kernel compile. Is
it an ethernet card or a modem?

Do

cat /proc/bus/pci

to see what the numbers are for your card.

Then have a look with google for anything that is related to that card
and installing in Linux.

You could also look in /lib/modules/oldkernelversion/kernel/drivers/net/

to see what the module name for your card is. You should have a fairly
good idea of how to get that into your kernel.

Now about that addition to the lowlat howto...:)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur