Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms and ogg files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms and ogg files
From: Jim Hines (jhines_AT_iolinc.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 17:20:02 EEST

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 09:13 am, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:54:34 -0400, Jim Hines wrote:
> > I have recently begun re-converting my CD collection to .ogg format.
> > However, I noticed that under xmms, the EQ does not work with ogg files.
> > Does anyone know why this is, or how to fix it?
>
> I suspect thats its because the EQ mangles the mp3 internals (which
> include come frequency spavce information). You could: port the EQ
> code to ogg, use xmms-ladspa* or stop EQing perfectly good audio.
>
> I'd go for option 3 ;)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I normally do not EQ "perfectly good audio". It's generally the bad stuff that
needs it most. ;)

What I would really like is a quality mechanism to guarantee that all my
ogg/mp3 files play at the same volumn level. I once tried a plugin for xmms
(don't recall the name) that attempted to do this, but it made the overall
sound quality terrible.

I don't really like the idea of normalizing all my wavs before converting them
to ogg or mp3, and have several high bitrate mp3s that I do not have the
source material for (mainly unreleased Beatles material). Any ideas here?

--
Jim Hines
Redhat Linux v7.3