Re: [linux-audio-user] Resampling help

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Resampling help
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 02:56:46 EEST

> Anyway, I am really sort of confused as to whether this is
> the best quality way to resample because I just resampled a
> 900 meg file in about a minute! That seems odd to me because
> in soundforge this takes about 30+ minutes. Can anyone suggest
> a sure fire method of getting the best 48kHz > 44.1kHz resampling
> results in linux?

Probably not, but here are some hints on sox's various modes, as I've
determined through my use of it. Others may correct me - my experience
has mostly been in taking 96kHz->44.1kHz.

Since you're only starting with 48kHz, you can try
$ sox infile.wav -r 44100 outfile.wav rate
but according to the manpage, it'll probably suck.

I've occasionally had luck with
$ sox infile.wav -r 44100 outfile.wav resample
but usually end up with clicks and artifacts.

I've usually used
$ sox infile.wav -r 44100 outfile.wav polyphase
and ended up with a clean resample.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com