Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 18:51:44 EEST

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> Going from Protools to Cool Edit in a week or is both reasonable as well
> as beleiveable. But not if you had to tack on getting comfortable with
> Unix environments on top of it.

It occurs to me that the real issue is having to think about the OS *at
all*. Most Windows users have never installed Windows themselves; most
musicians don't even know what an operating system *is*, so why should
they care ? The *only* time they have to consider the OS is when they're
told they need to upgrade, and rarely will they perform that task on
their own (I've certainly done my fair share of Windoze installation for
my friends). By far the vast majority of Windozers purchase a machine
with the OS preloaded, so it is simply never an issue or consideration.
In fact, many users will simply purchase a new machine in lieu of
installing or upgrading the latest version of Windoze.

It seems that every app I've installed on a Windoze machine has gone to
amazing lengths to ensure that the end user simply never has to consider
any aspect of the computer beyond just using the application. This is
not a criticism: the most heard complaint re: Linux and music apps is
"But I just want to get some work done!", and indeed we're not close to
the transparency of the Windoze desktop. Nevertheless, I do get work
done in Linux, even musical work. And I'm not the only one:

        http://linux-sound.org/music.html

And there's more on the way...

Just my two drachmas, of course...

Best regards,