Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 13:51:19 EEST

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:00:18 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Anyway, before it fried, I could get OK recordings in
> the same room as my PC, by
> close miking with a cardioid mic and accepting a bit
> of subtle background noise. It's better than it used to be,
> but not as nice as a controlled studio environment.

Dont forget X too. recently I've been running linux audio s/w on my studio
machine and using the GUIs on my laptop. It means I don't have to be
anywhere near the studio pc, plus I can edit in the lounge, with a long
ethernet and headphone lead.

I'm just about to move house (tommorow and on), where the studio will be a
long way from the lounge, and there is no cupboard to stick the rack in.
I'l see what I can come up with there, but I just bought a 100m reel of
cat5 cable, and I think ADAT cables go up to 20m, so that might be part of
the solution ;)

Anyone know anythning about simple+cheap acoustic treatment, or Free room
modelling software for UNIX? The new studio is 3.94m x 3.53m (almost
square) and has high ceilings, so I'm concerned about the resonances.

Also, I'm going to try my hand at building some studio furniture, so
anyones experiences in this area would be welcome. I did that kind of
stuff at school (11 years ago) and I think I can remember the basics.

- Steve