Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 16:55:08 EEST

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:51:19AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:00:18 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > Anyway, before it fried, I could get OK recordings in
> > the same room as my PC, by
> > close miking with a cardioid mic and accepting a bit
> > of subtle background noise. It's better than it used to be,
> > but not as nice as a controlled studio environment.
>
> Dont forget X too. recently I've been running linux audio s/w on my studio
> machine and using the GUIs on my laptop. It means I don't have to be
> anywhere near the studio pc, plus I can edit in the lounge, with a long
> ethernet and headphone lead.

Yeah, that's a nice idea ... however, my laptop is now considerably noisier
than my desktop! At least when the fan kicks in.

> Anyone know anythning about simple+cheap acoustic treatment, or Free room
> modelling software for UNIX? The new studio is 3.94m x 3.53m (almost
> square) and has high ceilings, so I'm concerned about the resonances.

Actually, that's not very square at all ... there's a
*big* difference between a ratio of 1:1 and a ratio of 1.1:1.
You don't mention the exact ceiling height, though.

Long ago I whipped up a simple, crappy perl script to calculate
room modes based on dimensions. I'm afraid to look at the source
code, but it still works. Output is ugly (ignore the zeros,
they were an attempt to make modes at similar frequencies
sort-of line up horizontally, which obviously failed for the 3rd
column).

Anyway, it may tell you something useful about the peak modes
(but not the nulls). Type in your dimensions at the prompt
and look for peaks near the same frequency below 300-400 Hz
(anything above that is more easily treatable, and less noticeable
anyway).

--PW