Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise Reduction experience?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise Reduction experience?
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 18:17:47 EEST

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:49:32PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Low level whistling comes from FFT based NR methods when the size of FFT
> is large. I did read this from Journal of AES paper describing
> Lucasfilm's NR method (year 1986 something). They used 256 pins FFT but
> they reduced the whistling by mixing the original audio with the
> processed audio. The paper documented their 4 band (overlapping) NR
> method too, anyone interested?

Yes please!
and...
Does anyone have technical details on the noise reduction methods used by
Audacity, Gnome Wave Cleaner and others?

In other words, I want to be convinced that GWC will do a better job than
Audacity (or not, or that there's something better) - has anyone published
comparative reviews?

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444