Re: [linux-audio-user] GWC, Debian and fftw

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] GWC, Debian and fftw
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 16:17:03 EEST

>From: Anahata <anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk>
>
>There's no .deb for GWC (yet...)
[ ... ]
>OK, there are various fftw libraries in Debian (woody, recent testing

You lucky _have_ those packages, I don't. Latest RedHat 7.3 is a major
disappointment when it comes to LAD. So many missing software.
The HOWTO docs are missing too. The docs CD has 600 MB empty space
which could have been filled with HOWTOs and other useful documentation.

The compiler must be broken too because it gives macro errors for Sweep
and even for GNU fileutils. I had to recompile old "ls" because /bin/ls
was sorting files only in MS Windows style: "." and "_" files mixed among
regular files, eek. (Have they removed options which control lower-case
etc. sortings? I have seen them somewhere, but don't remember where.)

The list of changes I have had to make to the system has grown quite
a much, but it is neverending:
 -how to select the audiocard which is used? Gnome? KDE?
  (yes, I have no audio in RedHat yet, unbelievable)
 -how to disable Gnome's and KDE's own sound servers?
 -is there Alsa in RedHat?
 -how to set off the CD-ROM auto-eject on unmounting? it looks
  like "eject -a off" don't work, and next place to switch it off
  is the kernel drivers --- unbelievable (it all is only a safety issue)
 -how to get GNome background image browser to show and go to "."
  directories? it won't even show them, and background image must be
  last thing I want to be visible among regular files and dirs

List of missing software is so far:
lynx "more"/"less" of html files
ghostview (only kghostview can be found)
fftw whenever fft computations are needed
libsndfile (only libaudiofile available)
wget what other programs do proper and easy downloads?
pari/gp whenever I need a calculator (and I need very often; there
           is no equivalent software, why?)
octave matlab has been handy, so must be octave too
gnuplot used by octave
flac
xfig
tgif
<list must be going on>

Within a week or two I have a possibility to download both Suse and
Debian. At least Debian provides the original source packages,
which is very good. Even if I keep the RedHat, I have a possibility to
compile any missing software. If we have here Debian maintainers,
I would like to suggest a new section to the distribution: sources
without maintainers --- no binaries but only original and latest
sources. For me it is easy to collect latest source codes, but making
the Debian binary package is quite a difficult. Such a section could
make sense.

What was the recently mentioned audio Linux distribution?

Sorry for this rant. ;-)

Best regards,

Juhana