Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 15:29:18 EEST

Hi,
Michael Krusch hat gesagt: // Michael Krusch wrote:

> fbar said:
> >I have to admit: SuSE already has a LowLat kernel in the newest
> >version.
> >From where do you get this information? In the kernel config menu is no
> low latency option. The LL-patch for 2.4.18 did not match to the SuSE
> 2.4.18 kernel. Patching produces warnings and compiling failes.

I thought I read this somewhere, but maybe it's just a rumor and I
better retract this info now, until I can check this further.

But OTOH SuSE is quite focused on audio and they support some audio
developers, so a LL or premptive patched kernel would make sense.

While I'm at it, I'll also retract, that Debian Kernel packages aren't
patched. They are, but only a little bit.

> >Where did you get Demudi from? Maybe this is the old version from last
> > year...
> Form
> f.tp://ftp.unix-ag.org/pub/linux-CD-images/demudi-i386/demudi-i386-26082
> 001.raw

This is what I thought: You got a version that's one year old,
according to the iso's date tag ("26 08 2001"). So it is based on an
obsolete branch of Debian, where lots of things have changed until
now. And lots of Mainstream-Debian bugs have been fixed, that probably
still are in this Demudi image.

> Is there a more current one somewhere?

DeMuDi is now part of the AGNULA project, that was just started some
weeks ago. AFAIK AGNULA doesn't have a distribution ready.

> >Go away, buy a Mac :)
> Do I look so stupid ;-)
No, MacIntoshs are fine, but they are expensive ... just like SuSE ;)

> I think I will give debian a try. Apt-get is a very nice feature.
Supposed you speak German, you can join us on debian-user-german
Compiling the kernel and the ALSA modules the Debian way is explained
nicely in the german Debian FAQ at
http://www.de.debian.org/debian-user-german-FAQ/

Ciao,