Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)

Subject: Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 00:51:54 EEST

Hi,
jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com hat gesagt: // jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com wrote:

> I am using gentoo now. I love it!. I am have written ebuilds but
> not submitted them yet. I have to work out the bugs in them. I
> wrote ebuilds for cinelerra, ladspa-cmt, and snd. I will soon build
> more. I got discourcaged originally trying to submit ladspa-cmt.
> They recected it because it did not build on their testing sytems.
> I am not sure why. It did not find ladsap.h.

I never tried Gentoo, but you can build Debian packages from scratch
as well with "apt-get build somepackage". Combined with the pbuilder
package, it even optimizes your build to your processor. Your
experience with ladspa-cmt shows another problem: Dependencies. I
don't know if Gentoo has them, but Debian incorporates
build-dependencies, so that packages needed for compilation get
installed before compilation.

The really great thing with Debian is more a social aspect: How can
literally hundreds of maintainers maintain small parts in a much
bigger project and in the end you get a working system?

It's a kind of miracle.

ciao,