Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)

Subject: Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)
From: Robert Brown (sbg_AT_twcny.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 01:23:21 EEST

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:26:36 +0200
Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be> wrote:

> Cool :)
>
> Okay, I'll install Gentoo too too ...
>
> I like this idea of ebuild sharing.
>
> First finishing my thesis though :(
>
> regards
> v2k
>
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 03:35:04PM -0500, jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com wrote:
> >I am using gentoo now. I love it!. I am have written ebuilds but not submitted them yet. I have to work out the bugs in them.
> >I wrote ebuilds for cinelerra, ladspa-cmt, and snd. I will soon build more. I got discourcaged originally trying to submit ladspa-cmt. They recected it because it did not build on their testing sytems. I am not sure why. It did not find ladsap.h. I think they either did not have ladspa-skd installed or it was a wrong environment variable. I worked fine on both of my machines. I wonder how why can share these files so that we can inprove opon these together.

Probably the issue was that all ebulids must also handle any dependencies. So you may end up writing an ebuild for whatever dependencies there are for a given program, unless one exsists already. This way one command line checks for needed (or desired: via USE flags in make.conf) dependencies, then downloads source. configures, compiles and installs those dependencies. Once dependencies are handled Portage continues to download source, configure, compile and install the desired app.

For anyone else interested in reading further:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/portage-manual.html
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/gentoo-howto.html
and
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/portage-user.html