Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)

Subject: Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)
From: Richard Seymour (nutate_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 01:18:00 EEST

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:51:54 +0200
Frank Barknecht <barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> I never tried Gentoo, but you can build Debian packages from scratch
> as well with "apt-get build somepackage". Combined with the pbuilder
> package, it even optimizes your build to your processor. Your
> experience with ladspa-cmt shows another problem: Dependencies. I
> don't know if Gentoo has them, but Debian incorporates
> build-dependencies, so that packages needed for compilation get
> installed before compilation.

Gentoo isn't exactly Debian, but portage is neater than apt and ebuild
files are easier to make. It does handle dependencies for you.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/faq.html#doc_chap3 explains a lot of it.

Anyhow, the book is never closed on which distro is 'better'. I just
happened to get excited about Gentoo, just based on how unmired it is
to tradition. (from your choice of cron, to a kernel logger to
anything, it's all up to you.)

-Rich