[linux-audio-user] 16 bit audio files on PPC

Subject: [linux-audio-user] 16 bit audio files on PPC
From: Fougelberg Marie (marie.fougelberg_AT_volvo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 15:23:56 EEST

Hello everyone!

I have a PowerBook G4 running YDL and I have a problem (!). I've tried SoX command-line player, play and various formats (wav, au etc) and all is well as long as the audio files are 8 bit, but I can't play 16 bit files! Very frustrating. XMMS can handle those files, as can Noatun, but I want to play them from the command-line. This must be an endian-problem (I converted a 16 bit wav-file to raw and played it using the command "play --xinu [a lot of audio spec] file.raw" and then I could hear what I was playing, but this is sort of tiresome) and I don't know how to solve it. Help! Would it help to configure SoX in some way? Or do I have to use another player? Is there a command-line player for ppc that can handle 16 bit files?
I'd be happy for any advice...

Cheers,
/Marie