Re: [linux-audio-user] 16 bit audio files on PPC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 16 bit audio files on PPC
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 00:45:41 EEST

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:23:56 +0200
Fougelberg Marie <marie.fougelberg_AT_volvo.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a PowerBook G4 running YDL and I have a problem (!).

I havd an iBook running Debian and MacOSX and I have no problem so I should
be able to help you :-).

> I've tried SoX command-line player, play and various formats (wav, au etc)
> and all is well as long as the audio files are 8 bit, but I can't play 16
> bit files! Very frustrating. XMMS can handle those files, as can Noatun,
> but I want to play them from the command-line. This must be an
> endian-problem (I converted a 16 bit wav-file to raw and played it using
> the command "play --xinu [a lot of audio spec] file.raw" and then I could
> hear what I was playing, but this is sort of tiresome) and I don't know
> how to solve it. Help! Would it help to configure SoX in some way? Or do
> I have to use another player? Is there a command-line player for ppc that
> can handle 16 bit files?

I've just tried SoX on both a 16 bit WAV and a 16 bit AIFF file and they
worked as expected.

What kernel version are you running? I'm using the benh PPC kernels
(2.4.19-rc1-ben0) available here:

     http://www.ppckernel.org/

These have some extra hacks which haven't made it into the manistream
kernel yet. One of these hacks I think is to fix the problem you are
having. I seem to remember that I only had 8 bit audio when I used
the Linux kernel (2.4.18).

Hope this helps,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"If you don't know what you need Windows NT for, you don't need it."
  - Bill Gates