[linux-audio-user] Re: searching for commandline morphers (shreeswifty)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: searching for commandline morphers (shreeswifty)
From: Stephen Burgess (strangelv_AT_lycos.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 01:37:13 EEST

>hi folks
>i was hunting some command line spectral morphers.
>I use PVNation quite frequently as well as PVC4 and POWERpv.
>Does anyone have any tips for fast commandline PV/FFT/conv progs?

well I haven't been able to do much with POWERpv myself, I found it very
poorly documented. Personally I have used phazor-0.1b
http://www.alsa-project.org/~mcnab/ which is not a vocoder but a tool to
zero the phase of the spectrum (and create ghost like soundscapes)
phazor needs the FFTW library - http://www.fftw.org/.

A "proper" vocoder with carrier and modulator signal is vocoder-1.2
http://www.nuel.ca/Vocoder. It has all the usual features, fft window
size, number of bands, etc. It doesn't do sound "morphing" as such,
although you can get a result closer to the carrier or to the modulator
depending on the parameters. I have also used Ceres quite a lot but it
has a GUI which I presume prevents you from using it on Darwin.

There are also many things you can do in terms of spectral manipulation
and signal processing with Csound, although I haven't been working in
this direction myself. For instance Csound will do enable you to do
voiced/unvoiced detection so you can decide to use white noise for
resynthesis of consonnants. I don't know which version would compile on
Darwin, check the "Getting Csound" section of
http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/csound/frontpage.html

I hope this helps. Stephan

--
"What's the difference between the Boy Scouts and the web ?
The Boy Scouts have adult supervision."