Re: [linux-audio-user] crunchy sound from snd-via686

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] crunchy sound from snd-via686
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 12:26:44 EEST

Russell Neches wrote:
> [insert your favorite salutation here]
>
> I'm trying to stabilize a Debian installation on a VIA EPIA system. I
> have sound working with the snd-via686 driver in ALSA 0.9.0beta12, but
> it has some "minor" problems. As long as you don't move any windows,
> playback sounds fine. Moving windows around causes playback to stutter
> and "crunch" - not static, exactly, but a more or less random
> secession of dull pops. Taxing the system in other ways doesn't cause
> the noise - glxgears and xmms happily coexist, as long as you don't
> drag them around. This is Debian Woody's package of the ALSA source
> tree, so this problem could have been fixed in newer releases (I
> haven't tried).
>
> I remember having this problem a long, long time ago with different
> drivers and different hardware. If I recall correctly, the problem is
> caused by the way the kernel handles interrupts, so boosting the
> priority of the daemon or the application doesn't help.
>
> I'm running the generic 2.4.19 tree, and I've noticed some strange
> interrupt behavior on my other two systems (spurious interrupts, and
> such) that did not happen under 2.4.18. Has anyone else had trouble
> with 2.4.19?
>
> Anyone know how to get rid of the crunchies? I know I could install a
> better sound card, but I was hoping to use the machine's only PCI slot
> for a SCSI card.

I had similar problems that *only* occured when I switched from Mandrake
to Debian. Using exactly the same hardware. It went away when I changed
from potato to woody. It was coming from the onboard intel8x0. It didn't
make a difference what kernel I used.

I eventually had to disable the card in the BIOS and everything became
very quiet. Which was great because I could use my other cards without
noise.

I am using a 2.4.19 now and I don't have the problem. In fact I haven't
had them since about 2.4.10.

I think the answer lies in tracking down what could possibly be
different between Mandrake and Debian when it comes to onboard hardware.
If it is the way interrupts are handled that cause the noise which is
dealt with by the kernel then why is it a problem with Debian and not
with Mandrake?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur