Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording dat quality.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording dat quality.
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:24:31 EEST

At Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:09:18 -0700,
Mel Steinberg wrote:

> I had the same trouble trying to record audio with Broadcast2000 (with
> SuSE8.0), which I never had with Alsa 0.5.x. Is there any chance that
> SuSE will put some Alsa and Alsa-Driver updates (as they do with new
> NVidia graphics drivers) on the YaST On-line Update service? I'm
> "tarball-impaired," and when I downloaded and installed the latest Alsa
> and Alsa-Driver RPMs from your personal ftp area, following your
> directions, I wound up crashing the whole system (segfaults, etc.). I
> reinstalled 8.0 with the "/" partition not reformatted, and got it all
> back, including datafiles. The only damage was updated files being
> replaced with the originals (KDE3.0.1>3.0, etc.).

the problem is the update of alsa-driver because the alsa drivers are
included in the kernel package. that is, basically, you need to
update the "kernel" package, which is really big.
the update package on my ftp directory is a kind of hack (or
workaround in the other word) from this perspective.

btw, the latest package should be ok. it looks like the alsa drivers
were built with a wrong kernel tree for 8.0 system, although the
kernel version is same. please try the new packages again.

Takashi