Re: [linux-audio-user] Wahwah plugin.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Wahwah plugin.
From: Nathaniel Virgo (natvi286_AT_student.liu.se)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 15:11:30 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Monday, August 19, 2002 1:16 pm

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 02:41:51 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > I'm using an oscillator with a low base tone as the signal
> source.
> > Autophase does very little.
>
> How about the amplitude? By definition an auto* will only do
> something if
> the amplitude is changing (as if it were being played on a
> guitar). I
> don't know if auto*'s are usually put before or after the compressor
> (sustain pedal).

Also, you won't hear much of an effect from a phaser if your source signal doesn't have many high harmonics.

A wah-wah effect is usually just a (sometimes resonant) band-pass (or sometimes low-pass) filter with the centre frequency controlled by a foot-pedal or LFO or envelope follower. Using a band-pass filter will get rid of the low frequency components of the sound, so you'll probably want to mix the original signal with the effected one.

If you want a wah-wah effect with a lot of bass, a good way is probably to start with a signal with a lot of harmonics such as a sawtooth wave, and send one copy through a band-pass filter with a modulated cutoff. Send the other copy though a low-pass filter and mix the two together, so that the wah effect is only affecting the higher frequencies. You could also experiment with using a different signal for the bass frequencies, perhaps using Mr. Harris' suggestion of crossfading two signals.

Hope this helps,

Nathaniel.