Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 07:27:07 EEST

I'm actually putting my vote in for Redhat these days, especially if you
use a laptop, since I found even with a low end dell laptop it
automatically patched me for low latency during installation (that's
with Redhat 7.3 iso's downloaded from their website). I had been running
Suse since version 6.4, and I still think yast2 is a nice config tool,
but recently I got a new machine and found it was impossible to get Suse
8.0 to install, I did get debian to install, but its more limited set of
built in drivers left me with a machine that had no ethernet and no
xwindows. Debian will definitely be there for the future, but I'd say
its the hardest linux to install, I can see why redhat has gotten so
popular as its becoming extremely easy to install and patch for low
latency,especially when you use grub as your bootloader.
On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 20:55, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi howard,
>
> in a world where the source code is freely available to everyone, things
> are pretty much on equal footing as far as software goes. i think the
> real difference in this regard is "what gets installed by default".
>
> if your favorite distro doesn't package something, building from source
> these days is as simple as ./configure, make, su, make install.
>
> fwiw, debian and suse have the most packages available (debian testing
> has something like 9000+), but this doesn't mean very much now that most
> projects are using autoconf/automake.
>
> btw, i use the same card. good performer for like 12 bucks (my version
> was called PCI-128). the OSS drivers work just fine for it too, just
> to let you know.
>
> pete
>

> begin Howard Sanner <flagstad_AT_mindspring.com>
> > I've been a long-time lurker here. A friend who is a well-known recording engineer and former member of Toscanini's NBC
> > Symphony has asked me which Linux distribution to get for audio. Like me, he needs only two-channel recording and playback
> > capability. We both use the Ensoniq 1370 card, which ALSA supports well.
> >
> > I'm using Mandrake 8.1, which was recommended to me before I knew about this list. However, I've read good things here about
> > SuSE for audio. Is there a consensus?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Howard Sanner
> > flagstad_AT_mindspring.com