Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 08:45:14 EEST

begin Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu>
> I'm actually putting my vote in for Redhat these days, especially if you
> use a laptop, since I found even with a low end dell laptop it
> automatically patched me for low latency during installation (that's
> with Redhat 7.3 iso's downloaded from their website). I had been running
> Suse since version 6.4, and I still think yast2 is a nice config tool,
> but recently I got a new machine and found it was impossible to get Suse
> 8.0 to install, I did get debian to install, but its more limited set of
> built in drivers left me with a machine that had no ethernet and no

i'm curious what ethernet card you're you talking about?

if you want to know what ethernet driver cards debian supports, take a
look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

however, on the other hand, if you want to see what ethernet driver
cards that redhat supports, you'll have to look at
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net instead.

but just to show the difference between redhat and suse, if you want to
see what ethernet drivers suse supports, take a look at
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

please contrast this to the ethernet drivers that mandrake supports.
you'll find these drivers in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

and lastly, if you're interested in all the other distributions like
gentoo, sorcerer, caldera and the others, instead, you'll have to look
at /usr/src/linux/drivers/net.

> xwindows.

whoa there, nelly.

xwindows needs no kernel support. DRI, yes. xwindows? no.

i'm starting to think the PEBKAC.

> its the hardest linux to install, I can see why redhat has gotten so
> popular as its becoming extremely easy to install and patch for low
> latency, especially when you use grub as your bootloader.

hrm. i don't think ANY distro is hard to install, but that's just me.

as for grub, i'm kind of wondering what you think the advantages are.
any small advantages i can think of sure ain't worth the steep learning
curve. i prefer nice and simple. lilo. especially since most of the
world uses lilo. i hope you're not thinking about the dreaded "1024
limit" that hasn't been a real concern for lilo users since 1998?

as for the low latency patch, i'm thinking you're confusing the words
"linux" and "redhat". alot of people do, unfortunately. that patch (as
well as the pre-emptible kernel patch) are available for all operating
systems that run the linux kernel.

pete