Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 09:34:26 EEST

--- Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu> wrote:
> I'm really talking about the installation
> experience, not about what a
> particular kernel driver supports, I know that the
> kernel is the same on
> every distro, but not every distro contains as many
> drivers, I'm talking
> about ease of use, like what's the easiest to setup.

I like Mandrake for ease of install. I teach in a
computer music lab, and like to encourage students to
mirror the studio systems at home (often in dual-boot
configurations).

Mandrake is very simple to setup as well as being
perfectly capable, like every linux distro, of hosting
the most sophisticated sound apps out their (my
students run ardour, PD, Csound, Ceres3, PVC, SMS, etc
at home, and most had never seen a command prompt
before installing Mandrake).

Kevin