Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:04:06 EEST

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:05:24PM -0700, Brian Redfern wrote:
> I'm really talking about the installation experience, not about what a
> particular kernel driver supports, I know that the kernel is the same on
> every distro, but not every distro contains as many drivers, I'm talking
> about ease of use, like what's the easiest to setup. Knowing what
> drivers I need, I could roll my own debian installation

I accept that there must be some hardware combinations that don't install
out of the box with some distributions, and it's possible that Debian
still needs a helping hand more often then others, but I'm happy to
say that it's improved enormously in my (admittedly subjective)
opinion recently.

If anyone's had trouble with 2.2 or even early 'testing' versions of 3.0
in the past, it's worth giving 3.0 another chance now. I'm actually
running from a June 'testing' snapshot of Woody, and even that seems to
have been easier to get going than another testing snaphot from earlier
this year. I can't even be bothered to upgrade to the official release:
it all simply works. Not that I've tried anything fancy like low latency,
and of course I may have trained myself to make certain decisions during
or after the installation process that avoid trouble.

I've flirted with Mandrake and Red Hat before, but I can't see myself
going back now.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444