Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 20:57:44 EEST

begin Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi>
> Hello. I recently installed RedHat 7.3. While Alsa installation
> is well documented (but not in RH7.3), could somebody explane how
> to remove existing sound drivers and Gnome sound server?

this is how you remove drivers that are resident in the kernel:

$ lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
visor 10444 0 (unused)
usb-uhci 21772 0 (unused)
usbserial 16924 0 [visor]
usbcore 60672 1 [visor usb-uhci usbserial]

$ su
Password:
# modprobe -r visor
#
$ lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
usb-uhci 21772 0 (unused)
usbserial 16924 0 [visor]
usbcore 60672 1 [visor usb-uhci usbserial]

as for the sound daemon, look for an init.d script. what is the name of
the gnome sound daemon? i can help you better if i know the name of the
daemon (i don't use gnome or kde. i prefer to use my CPU cycles for
other things).

> I actually don't want any sound server (except JACK) be in between
> me and my sound card. I don't want hear any desktop sounds at all.

they're like client side web scripting languages; they're total evil.
what little benefit they give, they just make life miserable since not
all applications know how to deal with them. until we have one unified
sound daemon and every application written knows how to use it, i'd
disable sound daemons unconditionally.

pete