Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 08:51:23 EEST

begin Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:19:33PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > note, i don't think the rpm format has a concept of "suggestions" and
> > "dependencies" like debian does. the rpm format simply has
> > "dependencies". so if you attempt to uninstall esound on redhat,
> > mandrake or suse, rpm may simply refuse to do so without a --forcing the
> > issue.
>
> You're reminding me of one of the major gripes I had
> with RedHat. I never wanted to run esd, did not want it installed
> but it was constantly listed as a requirement for the silliest
> things (mail clients and the like). RedHat would do
> well to add a "suggestion" feature to RPM.

i remember reading that redhat/mandrake/suse developers were upset
that the debian package management just totally kills the rpm format.
usually, competing things have "good points and bad points". but dpkg
just destroys rpm in every way imaginable.

this prompted somebody (it wasn't redhat which created the rpm format.
it was someone else, but i can't remember who) to look into an rpm 2.0
format. it looked very promising and was quite powerful. had alot of
features which made it just as powerful as the dpkg format.

that was well over a year ago, and i haven't heard hide nor hair about
it since. either it's under development or its dead, but you'd think
that SOMETHING would've been released after a year? especially if it
was being written by a funded source.

i honestly hope it comes out. it would be neat to see what they come up
with.

pete