Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 08:37:14 EEST

hi fernando,

begin Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> But the kernel RedHat distributes is not plain vanilla Linus,

true. IIRC, redhat uses the ac patched kernels. oddly enough, the ac
kernels have slower, older VM subsystems. apparently, alan cox didn't
think the andrea VM system was tested enough to be put into stable
kernels.

good and bad, just like everything in life. :-)

> it has literally hundreds of patches. _Some_ of the patches are
> additional drivers that were not (at the time of the build and
> testing process, I guess) part of the standard Linus kernel.
> So maybe it has more. Then again, maybe it has less if some of
> them were not configured to build. Either way it is not going
> to be a big difference (unless you happen to own hardware that
> needs a specific driver and either plain Linus or RedHat
> kernels don't have it :-)
>
> [I don't presonally use RedHat's default kernel but a plain
> Linus with capabilities, preempt and lowlat added]

fernando, i wouldn't cry if you posted your opinions and observations
about these patches. i haven't tried them myself, but i'd like to.
have you done any stress testing with them?

have you noticed any real gains?

pete