Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 04:21:53 EEST

> between people saying that "redhat has more drivers than other distros"

I have not personally counted the drivers so I don't know :-)
But the kernel RedHat distributes is not plain vanilla Linus,
it has literally hundreds of patches. _Some_ of the patches are
additional drivers that were not (at the time of the build and
testing process, I guess) part of the standard Linus kernel.
So maybe it has more. Then again, maybe it has less if some of
them were not configured to build. Either way it is not going
to be a big difference (unless you happen to own hardware that
needs a specific driver and either plain Linus or RedHat
kernels don't have it :-)

[I don't presonally use RedHat's default kernel but a plain
Linus with capabilities, preempt and lowlat added]

> and "the low-latency redhat patch" there's quite alot of FUD on
> this list.

I think the reference to the low latency patch in the list was
to the fact that the default RedHat kernel already comes with
a (partial) low latency patch installed and enabled.

Regretfully (at least last time I checked - maybe that has
changed since then) the included patch is not the complete
set, so that the low latency performance is not as good as a
kernel compiled with the full Andrew Morton patch. It is
better than having no patch at all, of course.

-- Fernando