Re: [linux-audio-user] low budget musician soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] low budget musician soundcard
From: Richard Seymour (nutate_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 10:13:41 EEST

Based on the original post, I would go with the cheap Hoontech Soundtrack
Digital XG (they throw the word i-phone in there, now.) I have one of these
cards (I think/hope it's the one based on the ymf754 chip). It handles 44.1
and 48kHz properly, with the daughter board you get SPDIF (screw the /, am I
the only one who forgets where it goes?) optical and RCA style. It can also
handle front and rear speakers. Sadly I deleted your original post, so I
can't recall whether you needed Dolby 5.1. I don't think it can quite do
that, as it lacks a center channel.

I have used it with a standard Joystick -> MIDI in/out connector cable, and it
worked like a charm. Sadly my the machine with the card is dual booted but
stays in windows because of other more pressing matters. :(

Good Luck,
Rich

PS Finding the Hoontechs isn't the easiest thing, but you can find an online
dealer rather easily via google and/or the hoontech website, which has
thankfully been retranslated and revamped. Not to mention ST Audio, but I
digress. :) I wonder if ST will ever be a (low end) competitor to RME?