[linux-audio-user] hammerfall dsp + alsa

Subject: [linux-audio-user] hammerfall dsp + alsa
From: Daniel Heckenberg (daniel_AT_bogusfront.org)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 08:04:13 EEST

Hi folks,

I hope that this is the right list to ask the following:
I'm using a cardbus rme hdsp (multiface) and have succeeded in getting it
running in a very limited way and wanted to ask for advice or shared
experience about getting it the rest of the way. Any tips gratefully
appreciated!

I'm using Fernando's 2.4.19-1.ll kernel under redhat 7.3 (thanks for the
planet ccrma at home resources btw - very handy!) on a Dell Inspiron 8100.

During boot the system starts pcmcia and tries to autoload
snd-hammerfall-mem (successfully) and then snd-hdsp (unsuccessfully - says
can't find device). snd-hammerfall-mem is then unloaded automatically.
After boot I can manually modprobe snd-hammerfall-mem and snd-hdsp to get
things working (after the cold boot/warm boot shenanigans).

I'm not running alsasound during init or anything else. It doesn't seem to
make any difference if I modprobe snd-hammerfall-mem explicitly in the init
sequence (either early or late). In fact if I modprobe the memory allocator
early in the boot sequence I can't modprobe snd-hdsp successfully after boot
unless I unload and reload the memory allocator first.

I don't understand enough about the pcmcia/pci sequence to know what's
happening here... or if this behaviour is as good as it gets for the present
driver. The system also fails to find the device sometimes, but this seems
to be a pcmcia issue not an alsa issue...

Once the device is up I can play ordinary wave files with aplay through the
plughw device. I haven't had success doing much else as I gather that a
reasonably sophisticated asound.rc file is required to present the hardware
in usable form to most applications. Is this the case? Does anyone have
any sample asound.rc files that I might look at?

Finally I have attempted to use the card with pd without luck:
pd -alsa -alsadev hw:1,0
and
pd -alsa -alsadev plughw:1,0
Both fail in a blaze of errors. Must I solve this with the asound.rc file
also?

Many thanks,
Daniel