RE: [linux-audio-user] hammerfall dsp + alsa

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] hammerfall dsp + alsa
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 10:37:27 EEST

--- Daniel Heckenberg <daniel_AT_bogusfront.org> wrote:

> I haven't identified any trouble with the built-in
> sound on my machine....Is this the same device in
> the i8k2, kevin?

No, it's a different card (intel8x0), which makes me
sorry we bought the 8200...I'm glad to hear this is
not an issue for you.

> Can I throw open a request to anyone with a
> asound.rc file for a
> multichannel soundcard?

Others will certainly have more sophisticated
asoundrc's to offer you than this stock version, but
it works pretty well for me my nother machine using
RME's Hammerfall 9652:

# ALSA resource file (~/.asoundrc)
# Use pcm.<snd_id> and ctl.<snd_id>

pcm.rme9652 {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.rme9652 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

For example with this config, Ardour/Jack just sees
the full 26 ins and 26 outs. I run it with "jack -R -d
alsa -d rme9652" and then in a second shell, just
"ardour". Other ALSA apps work similarily well.

For now, I would try using a generic asoundrc with the
HDSP as well. Getting anything which takes full
advantage of its internal routing is a vastly more
complicated endeavor (see TotalMix...).

Best,

Kevin

# I'd like to have a couple