Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo_AT_libero.it)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 10:39:58 EEST

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

        Apple Ibook (G3 366 - 192Mb)

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

        Standard Apple chipset

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

        I've used both ALSA and OSS, but for now I use the audio.o kernel module for
        USB audio (I already tried on my Duron desktop with a recent SuSE kernel and
        snd-usb-audio works fine with iMic, but I'm bad at recompiling the kernel so
        I have to wait for a new PPC one from SuSE)

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

        USB audio with Griffin Imic

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

        The main problem I found is that with PowerPC processor there is a problem
in the header of the files you record, so I have to open them with snd and
change the header, otherwise I hear only noise. (I think it's an endianness
problem or something like that).

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

        I mainly use soundtracker, xmms, snd, yarec

Bye

--
        |   Emiliano Grilli  | GNU/Linux     |