Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 20:01:09 EEST

Hi Dave-

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

Dell Inspiron 8200.

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

intel8x0

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

ALSA cvs intel8x0 and snd-hdsp (see below)

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

HDSP multiface, not using/testing MIDI just yet.

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your
> laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little
> reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're
> happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration
> was an easy breeze

Between Dismal and Dedicated (it is not 100% working
even as we speak)

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system,
> i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound,
> soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

I want to do:

Csound, PD, remote recording (ardour), concert hall
performance/real-time stuff (rtmix), and
ambisonic/multi-channel playback (vspace/ambidec).

> 6) Anything else ?

I'm still struggling with this box, mainly because the
internal card is *junk* (pops, clicks, bad levels
in/out, etc). Unfortunatley it cannot be disabled in
the BIOS, and it causes constant conflicts with the
other card (HDSP). Drivers must be constantly
unloaded, reloaded.

But I have a few more tricks up my sleave, so perhaps
the Dismal/Dedicated status can be updated later.

Kevin