Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: matthew yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 22:45:13 EEST

> Greetings:

hello Dave

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

apple g4 400 tibook

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

Card: PowerMac Screamer

Chip: PowerMac AWACS

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

alsa, oss, usb audio kernel driver

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

griffin imic - works well once you get the recording level set ok.
 (wish i could use my vxpocket but digigrime are idiots :( )

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy
> breeze

fair bit of trouble trying the older releases of alsa (0.9-10,11 )
because they basically didn't seem to build/ work. 0,9 rc2 builds and
runs great except
for the bug where you have to adjust the mic boost to 'wake up' the
audio interface.

usb audio was a breeze. oss from the yellow dog 2.4.10 kernel was too.

some (possibly endian) issues mean some apps don't work with some
drivers. 2.4.10 oss drivers seem to be the most compatible,

.... B

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to
> XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing
> with Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

done some realtime audio stuff (SSM, pd) - nice low latency - no clicks.

listened to mp3s _a lot_ (its totally solid doing this btw)
edited sound files, using audacity.

> 6) Anything else ?

running games on the amiga emulator. love that paula chipsound!. tried
to install debian on my virtual amiga but it didn't work :(

used my USB midisport midi interface - worked well with 2.4.10 kernel.
no good with 2.4.19. haven't tried alsa-usb midi stuff yet.

glad to see the back of osx (the slug) and os 9 (pointy clicky - yuk)

> Please feel free to comment as needed, e.g. "Output is good at 16-bits
> but mic/line-in are hardwired to 8-bits", "Internal speakers are weak
> but headphones/line-out sound good", and so forth. TIA !

they (apple) stole the audio in on this version of the tibook. hence
the imic.

( some comments made above maybe better here?)

next time i do a gig (i week) gonna use linux. should be a buzz when
people check the mac and then see a real open source unix on it.

endian probs aside, generally a pretty decent audio laptop.

cheers

matthew