Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 00:56:29 EEST

Hi Dave!

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?
Just got a Sony GRX580

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?
lspci says: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio (rev 02)

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?
Alsa 0.9, snd-intel8x0

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card
not yet...

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze
Dedicated.
I had to get a kernel patched with the last acpi patch from
sourceforge, otherwise sound would just not work at all. I
suspect bad interrupt routing, this is one of those "legacy
free" laptops that apparently do not work if you don't have
acpi installed (the computer would boot fine but no sound).
After getting the proper kernel up and running alsa was easy.
I tried both 2.4.18 and lately 2.4.9 + 20-pre4 + acpi + lowlat
+ preempt. When running latencytest I get 170mSeg spikes...

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?
Snd, CLM, Pd
(I have not actually used it a lot with sound yet - too new)

> 6) Anything else ?
The internal soundcard only does 48KHz (argh!). Speakers are
not bad for a laptop, obviously they lack low end :-) The
output itself is of reasonable good quality. I have not tested
input yet, don't expect much in terms of quality.

-- Fernando