Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: Richard Seymour (nutate_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 20:06:11 EEST

On Sunday 25 August 2002 01:12 pm, Dave Phillips wrote:

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

Compaq Presario 1200 (12XL310) Not too bad, just wish it had a higher res
screen. Celeron 600. Looking at the Toshiba Libretto L5 ...?

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 20)
Not bad, but I disable some bit of SB16 emulation in the BIOS to get windows
to work with the PCMCIA ethernet card... Somehow I haven't missed any
functionality.

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

ALSA v0.9.0rc2 whatever the latest greatest gentoo portage package is.

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

I bought an oxygen 8 with the hopes of getting it working with Linux, but I've
now resigned myself to getting a MidiSport 2x2, then I can hook up my DX7
too. :)

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

(B) This system was a real leech on my time. I spent too much time wanting it
to be something else, when I should've just sold it for cash to get one w/ an
XGA screen. But somehow after I put gentoo on it, the speed seems (?) to be
less of an issue, and antialiasing in KDE/moz/X (the horror!?) makes the
screen nicer. Now I'm real happy with it.

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

Mainly, the thing sits on my desk at work and takes audio streams in. When it
was a Slackware box I had Csound on it. I'm hoping to have some fun with
that and Snd, audacity, etc. soon. Also, GDAM is a love of mine.

> 6) Anything else ?

I'm glad ALSA now has the clickable soundcard install hints. Hopefully that
will turn into a reserve of info on various chipsets. (Total non sequitor
there :)

The internal speakers actually aren't bad. I was reading some review of a
newer presario that also has JBLs in it. They are tiny, but not too bad.
I'm always on headphones or external out, though.

Also, as a question, I'm wondering if anyone will turn up with one of those
new gateway XL laptops, one of them supposedly has an optical out. Is that
true? I'll check linux-laptop.net now.

Later,
Rich